What can we, as a university community, do for our planet, climate and the environment we live in? The winners of the competition My studies for the planet had the opportunity to talk about this together with Joanna Jereczek-Lipińska, PhD, DSc, Prof of the UG, Vice-Dean for Education and Cooperation with the Environment, Sylwia Mrozowska, PhD, DSc, Prof of the UG,, Director of the Centre for Sustainable Development, Krzysztof Szczepaniak, PhD, Deputy Director of CZRUG and Anna Malcer-Zakrzacka, PhD, Chief Specialist for Promotion of the Faculty of Philology.
On Tuesday, 28 June 2022, at the Centre for Sustainable Development of the University of Gdansk, Faculty of Chemistry, a prize-giving ceremony was held for the authors of the winning works. In category 1 HIGH SCHOOL for a post with a photo, the first prize was won by Zofia Panek, a student of the 5th High School in Gdańsk, for her feuilleton “Still life may not have to be dead yet”. The high school student points out that she follows the zero waste principle when creating her artwork:
– I often get paintbrushes and paints from my friends who used to use them at school, but now no longer need them. I have whole cartons of second-hand painting tools – says Zofia Panek.
Three prizes were awarded in the STUDENTS AND DOCTORS category for a reportage text with a photo. The first prize went to Anita Badyniak, a student of Polish Philology:
– In my work I could afford to have interdisciplinary topics. In my studies, there is not one specific topic related to sustainable development, but rather the subject is treated in a very interdisciplinary manner: there is a bit about copyright, a bit about racism, about the destruction of cultural heritage. In my work, I had the opportunity to refer to these issues – says Anita Badyniak.
The winner of the second prize is Michalina B. Hładun for her reportage column about upcycling. The third prize went to Patrycja Błaszkowska for her piece “In the depths of thought”.
You can read all the feuilletons on Instagram @filologicznyug.
The works were evaluated by a jury composed of:
- Izabela Morska, PhD, DSc, Prof of the UG, writer and lecturer at the Institute of English and American Studies at the Faculty of Philology
- Sylwia Mrozowska, PhD, DSc, Prof of the UG, Director of the Centre for Sustainable Development, political scientist
- Joanna Jereczek-Lipińska, PhD, DSc, Prof of the UG, Deputy Dean for Education and Cooperation with the Environment of the Faculty of Philology UG
- Anna Malcer-Zakrzacka, PhD, non-fiction literature researcher, promotion specialist at the Faculty of Philology of UG
The prizes were sponsored by the Faculty of Philology, the Centre for Sustainable Development and Olivia Star Top.
Organiser of the competition: Faculty of Philology, University of Gdansk
Partner: The Centre for Sustainable Development UG
- Piotr Stepnowski, Rector of the University of Gdansk
- Urszula Patocka-Sigłowy, PhD, DSc, Prof of the UG, Dean of the Faculty of Philology UG